My creative journey started when I discovered stamping and card-making in March, 2010. At the time, my husband asked, "how long is this one going to last?" A fair question considering my recent passing crazes: beading, triathlon, cycling, dog-training to name a few. I couldn't articulate an answer at the time but I knew that somehow, this would be different. What I've discovered is that stamping is not just a hobby to help pass the time or to keep my mind busy; rather, it has therapeutic qualities in itself. When I am making a card, the whole world shuts off as I focus on my design and concentrate on putting together the bits and pieces of card and ink. The creative process builds my self-esteem, calms my mind and delights my spirit. And I know that the card itself will also bring joy or solace to someone else one day. At the moment I firmly believe that crafting is a gift from God in my life and I am exploring ways to use this gift in some form of ministry for Him.

Monday, September 27, 2010

Sit Awhile Peace Card







The Stamping Sisters in Christ Challenge this week is to make a peace card. The idea was to use any traditional symbol or sentiment to represent peace, or to create an image which conveys the meaning of peace to you. With four young children in my house, the idea of peace is quite difficult to conceive! And yet, I try to achieve some semblance of peace at some point every day because I think it is unhealthy both physically and spiritually to be constantly busy and constantly surrounded by activity and noise. I strive for moments of quiet and peace however brief they may be. So the scene I've created in my card is definitely the embodiment of peace to me: a beach, lapping waves, blue sky and a comfortable chair to "sit a while...." I think that chair is the perfect place to sit and contemplate the many blessings of life and to meditate on God's plans in my life.

After making the card, I went outside into our yard to see what my husband was up to. There in our wild cherry sat two wood pigeons, filling their tummies with our spring blossoms. I enjoyed watching them for ages before grabbin the camera, and decided that was definitely one of those peaceful moments. I hope you enjoy the photos.

I stamped the chair in Staz-on and then masked it so I could sponge the scene around it. I separated the sky from the sea by using a post-it when sponging. When I removed the mask I decided I liked the chair in white. I deliberately kept the card clean and simple.

Stamps: Gina K Designs "The Journey"
Cardstock: SU Brocade Blue and Black
Inks: SU and Memento

5 comments:

  1. Your card is so peace and lovely, great photos.Thank you for joining us at Stampin Sisters in Christ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I so agree about that chair being the perfect place to sit a while and the peacefulness of your scene is beautiful! I too think of the beach as a place I miss going to for those quiet moments! Love your card and thanks so much for joining us at Stampin Sisters in Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how pretty!! Love how it matches the photos!! The beach is perfect for quiet moments!
    Thanks for joining the Stampin Sister's in Christ challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the card Susan! That chair is perfect with the water! Definitely a peaceful scene! So glad that you played along this week at Stampin Sisters in Christ!
    Great seeing you at the party last night too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the card, but the px of the wood pigeons really intrigued me! Are they a deep blue? Very different from our Oregon, USA pigeons! My grandaughter is doing great...went back to school half days! God is good! You can visit my blog http://inkymema.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete